Welcome to today’s Honey Monster Reports.
Every Friday I look at DVD releases and new movies in the cinema. I love a monster film – or even a good film that isn’t about monsters!
Over the next few weeks, there are some great films coming out on DVD
Coming out at a cinema near you on 29 January is Disney’s new animated fairy tale The Princess And The Frog
- Set in New Orleans during the Jazz Age, the story is about a young girl called Tiana who meets a prince from a far-off land. As Tiana is wearing a tiara, he thinks she is a princess and kisses her. And it all goes from there
And out on DVD, we have The Dog of Flanders which is out at the end of January, rated U.
- Based on a very old story which was written in 1872, this is a tale of a young boy and his dog.
- Nello is the boy and he and his grandfather Daas are really poor but manage to make ends meet by delivering milk. Nello dreams of being an artist but they work so hard he thinks he will never manage to make his dream come true.
- One day Nello and his canine friend meet Piet a strange artist and suddenly Nello realises all might not be lost! The story has not got any monsters in it so not really my sort of thing but if you like a more gentle sort of film then give it a try.
The next DVD is much more my style – The Gruffalo! Now you might have had the book already, and even if you hadn’t, this was on telly at Christmas and is out on DVD in March– it is definitely one to watch out for!
- The Gruffalo tells the magical tale of a mouse who takes a walk through the woods in search of a nut. Encountering three predators who all want to eat him (they’re a fox, an owl and a snake) the plucky mouse has to use his wits to survive, creating an imaginary monster who then turns out to be only too real.
- Now anything with monsters in, imaginary or not is going to get a double thumbs up from me and so this is a monster win!
Find out more about the Honey Monster at www.honeymonster.co.uk