Actually, he is a bit of both – and Hercules is the largest Liger in the world.
- Hercules is a massive 12 feet long, and weighs over 900 pounds
- And has a whole page devoted to him in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Hercules has inherited traits from both his parents – and the appetite of both combined, consuming 25 pounds of meat and gallon of water each day.
- Ligers (which are the result of male lions and female tigers crossbreeding) are larger than either lions or tigers – unlike tiglons (male tiger/female lion crossbreeds), which are the same size as their parents – due to sex-linked genes that are only expressed in the hybrids.
- Hercules is thought to have been the result of an accident on the part of his parents, who lived in close proximity at the Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species, in Miami, Florida, rather than a grand cross-species romance.
Find out more at www.tigerfriends.com