Children can experience the thrill of flying through the air on the zip slide and see the exhibition come to life in the butterfly house and hatchery.
Shrink to the size of a caterpillar and find your way through the maze, following the caterpillar’s life journey to become a butterfly. Along the way, try and feed a hungry caterpillar, climb into a chrysalis or dance like a butterfly. Record your discoveries using the stamp card that you can take home and colour in. But beware, down the dead-ends lurk predatory spiders and sticky plant traps that are waiting to catch you. If you survive, you can emerge from your chrysalis and take flight on the zip slide aerial runway.
Mind your head. There are hundreds of butterflies and moths from North and South America, Africa and Southeast Asia that flutter around the exotic plants in the butterfly house. You can even see butterflies emerge from their pupa in the hatchery.
Explore plants that you’ll find in UK gardens planted outside. They are perfect for attracting butterflies that are native to the UK and seasonal butterfly visitors too. Get plenty of tips and hints about how to attract butterflies or the best places to find them.
In summary, its on the Museum’s front lawn and features:
- a butterfly house filled with 100s of live butterflies and moths
- spectacular swallowtails, beautiful blue morphos, massive moths and more
- 5 sensory zones exploring how butterflies see, hear, taste, smell and touch
- fun interactive activities and colourful information panels inside the house
- your own sensational butterfly chart to get stamped at sensory zones
- hatchery windows to observe emerging butterflies and pupae
- a butterfly puddle where male butterflies gather to feed
- an outdoor garden with tips on how to attract butterflies at home
Adults and children of all ages will enjoy this exhibition.
10am – 5.50pm
Child and concessions £3.50
Free to Members, Patrons and children aged 3 and under