This August Tate Liverpool presents a week of colourful summer events for all ages – all free of charge. Inspired by the exhibition Colour Chart: Reinventing Colour, 1950 to Today, the week will include an arty hang out space for 13-25 year olds run by Young Tate, fun family-friendly activities at the weekend and a special late-night Saturday opening to coincide with the city’s ‘Art on the Waterfront’ celebrations.
Monday 10 August – Thursday 13 August
- Art on the Waterfront at Tate Liverpool
Friday 14, Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 August
- Part of the ‘On the Waterfront Season’, organised by Liverpool City Council. Colour Tent activities supported by the Peter Cruddas Foundation.
Colour Tent – Young Tate:
From Monday to Friday (11.00 – 17.00) arty activities will take place in a special ‘Colour Tent’ (located in Mermaid Court on the Albert Dock), run by Young Tate. Supported by the Peter Cruddas Foundation, the space will be used as a venue for live music, lantern-making workshops and as an art studio where young people aged 13 and over can get involved in exciting creative projects.
‘Art on the Waterfront’ – Family fun at Tate Liverpool:
On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as part of Liverpool’s ‘Art on the Waterfront’ celebrations, the ‘Colour Tent’ will be transformed with free family-friendly activities where younger kids can get creative with colour. On Friday and Saturday families can make magical coloured box lanterns that will light up the waterfront during a spectacular parade on Saturday evening (11.00 – 17.00).
Tate Liverpool also invites families to watch enthralling performances by Ball Pond Bobby. These interactive shows for children, created by Dynamic New Animation Theatre Company, include puppetry, dance choreography and music. Performances take place on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 August at 11.30 and 15.00 and last approximately 40 minutes. Admission is free, but advance booking is recommended.
On Sunday little artists are invited to make their mark on a giant canvas in Lucky Dip Painting (11.00 – 17.00), a fun event for families in the ‘Colour Tent’. Take a chance, choose paint colours from the lucky dip barrels and prepare to get messy (aprons provided).
Throughout the weekend visitors will also be able to take part in Paint It In, a workshop where families can experiment with colour in the painting studio by exploring the artists and artworks from the Colour Chart exhibition, and use artist’s techniques and colour clues from all around Tate Liverpool. The ever-popular Tate Explorers base camp trolley will return to the gallery on Sunday from 13.30 – 16.30.
Weekend activities take place as part of the ‘On the Waterfront Season’
Saturday 15 August – Late Night Opening
- On the evening of Saturday 15 August a lantern parade will travel across the waterfront to join the extraordinary sound and light installations taking place at Pier Head.
- On that evening Tate Liverpool invites visitors to continue the ‘Art on the Waterfront’ experience in the Gallery until 21.00.
- The evening will feature an interactive Lighting Lab on the fourth floor, where visitors can learn the skills behind colour mixing with lighting designer Kathrine Sandys (LIPA) in half hour sessions from 16.00-20.00.
- Lighting Lab is free, but booking is advised – call Tate Liverpool on 0151 702 7400.
- From 18.00-19.00 a special concert will take place in the Wolfson Gallery alongside Sol LeWitt’s mesmerising artwork Wall Drawing #1136. Entitled Chimes for a Wall Drawing, composer and sound artist Will Bolton performs a piece inspired by the seriality of LeWitt’s colourful art. Bolton’s score directly translates from the wall drawing itself, mapping the seven colours onto the corresponding notes to produce an engrossing electro-acoustic performance.
- Throughout the evening visitors will also be able to enjoy genre-hopping tunes in Not Just the Blues, a set list inspired by Colour Chart, and Tate Café will stay open until 20.30 to feed hungry revellers.
- Young Tate: Colour Tent | 10 – 13 August | until 17.00
- Colour Tent: Lantern Making | 14 & 15 August | 11.00 – 17.00
- Ball Pond Bobby | 15 & 16 August | 11.30 and 15.00
- Lighting Lab | 15 August | 16.00 – 20.00
- Chimes for a Wall Drawing | 15 August | 18.00 – 19.00
- Colour Tent: Lucky Dip Painting | 16 August | 11.00 – 17.00
- Art on the Waterfront ‘LuminoCity+’ (including Lantern Parade) | 15 August | 20.30 – 22.30 | Pier Head