|March 7, 2009||to||March 8, 2009|
Get back to the good life this weekend at the ‘RHS Grow Your Own Open Weekend’ at Wisley Garden on Saturday and Sunday from 10.30am – 3.30pm.
The RHS Grow Your Own campaign encourages vegetable growers across the country, whilst also inspiring visitors to also give growing fruit a try.
For one day only there will be free entry for all on Saturday 7 March to celebrate the start of the Grow Your Own Weekend, which continues until Sunday 8 March (normal garden entry applies on Sunday).
The main event will be held in the Hillside Event Centre, featuring displays, talks on how to get started and a live cookery demonstration, whilst further talks and demonstrations on soil digging, tree pruning and much more will happen at various locations around the garden.
Free children’s activities plus children’s characters Snip and Clip will be taking place in the garden, plus celebrity chef Peter Osbourne will be demonstrating healthy options that children can make. Seasonal menus in the café and restaurant will further add to the tasty highlights on offer over the weekend.
The Plant Centre will also be holding two talks daily, led by expert RHS Garden Staff. A new Recycled Tools for Schools Scheme inviting visitors to donate old garden tools for schools will also be launched, with discount vouchers given in return for new tools purchased from the Plant Centre.
Activities on offer for visitors over the weekend include:
- Fruit and vegetable advice and stall holders in the Hillside Event Centre
- Live cookery demonstrations with Terry Price at 11am (rhubarb on Saturday, bramley apples on Sunday) and
- Children’s cookery with celebrity chef Peter Osbourne and Snip and Clip characters.
- A wide variety of demonstrations on topics such as how to prepare the soil for veg growing, planting a fruit tree, pruning and reviving a neglected fruit tree.
- A variety of talks around the garden and in the Plant Centre on topics such as how to get started with fruit and veg growing, what to plant in March, growing strawberries with children and fruit grafting demystified.
- Free children’s tomato seed planting in the Glasshouse Gallery
- Sale of Carol Klein’s new RHS book, Grow Your Own Fruit (published by Mitchell Beazley).
Seasonal menus in the café and restaurant will further add to the tasty highlights on offer over the weekend. A new ‘Recycled Tools for Schools Scheme’ at the Plant Centre will also invite visitors to donate old garden tools that can be revamped and repaired for school children. In return, visitors who donate will receive a discount voucher to redeem against new tools purchased from the Plant Centre.
To find out more and to register for a free monthly newsletter on how to grow your own, visit www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables.
This weekend’s Grow Your Own Open Weekend is the first of three big Grow Your Own Open Weekend events taking place at Wisley this year. Look out for :
- Berrylicious Weekend – 18 – 19 July
- A Taste of Autumn – 16 – 19 October
Saturday 7 March is also a free open day to all who visit.
RHS Garden Wisley
For more information on RHS Wisley, look at our entry in ‘Parks and Open Spaces’