The former home of Henry VIII as well as countless other kinds and queens, Hampton Court Palace is always a fantastic place to visit. And this October half term they have some really special activities and exhibitions on offer to keep you entertained!
Roman around the Palace
23 – 31st October
This October half term Henry VIII’s pleasure palace is alive with activity. Join in the fun while Queen Kateryn Parr arranges suitable activities to entertain her step-children Prince Edward and Lady Elizabeth. Take part in laurel crown and beard making, try on togas in Fountain Court, enjoy storytelling in the Mantegna Gallery, play Roman Emperor top trumps and much more.
- Meet members of Queen Kateryn’s Court and the teachers of the royal children
- Learn how to be a soldier in the King’s army
- Learn about deportment, manners and the dances of the Tudor Court
- Take your first steps in Latin, the basis of all Tudor education
- Meet one of the Queen’s musicians for instruction in Tudor music
- Watch the Queen as she presides over the Privy Council as they discuss essential business
- Prepare a Court Masque and then present it to Queen Kateryn and the Court
- Help recreate the famous The Triumphs of Caesar by Mantegna painting and learn about a Roman Triumph (not 28 October)
- Play Roman Emperor Trump Cards and find out about some famous Roman Emperors (not 28 October)
- Also last chance to see Henry VIII’s tapestries – ends 31 October. Show lasts 6 min. Daily, 11.00am, 12.00pm, 2.00pm, 3.00pm and 4.00pm
- Ensure that you are dressed suitably for court in Henry VIII’s wardrobe – there’s velvet cloaks in all sizes are available in the Wardrobe.
- Try a Toga on for size and make a laurel wreath crown.
Paintings at the Palace
27 – 31st October
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to see a selection of botanical paintings from the Hampton Court Palace archive and an exhibition of other paintings by the members of the Hampton Court Palace Florilegium Society.
The Florilegium record the range of plants grown in the Palace gardens, with particular emphasis on the Palace’s collection of plants of historical interest. Members of the Florilegium Society are showing a selection of this archive work, which they have donated to the Palace, in this exhibition. The exhibition will be in the Clore Learning Centre and is free to enter
To find out more information, visit www.hrp.org.uk
Hampton Court Palace, Surrey, KT8 9AU
Adult – £15.40
Child (under 16) – £7.70
Concessions – £12.65
Family – £41.80
Members go free – Annual Membership is from £41
10.00 – 18.00 (last admission 17.00)
How to get there:
Train: 30 minutes from London Waterloo
Bus: 111, 216, 411, 451, 513, R68
Riverboat: For a special way to travel to the palace visit www.turks.co.uk