|July 1, 2009||to||July 31, 2009|
Portsmouth is a hidden jewel of the South Coast, as the city has more to offer than most people imagine.
2009 is a big year for Portsmouth, with a range of anniversaries to commemorate. Search our events listings for further details of the events planned.
- 65 years since the D-Day landings
- 500 years since the accession of Henry VIII
- 500 years since the building of the Mary Rose began
- 250 years since HMS Victory’s keel was laid
- 150 years since HMS Warrior’s keel was laid
- 150 years since the birth of Sherlock Holmes’ creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- 100 years since the death of George Meredith, the novelist and poet who was born in Portsmouth
Things to do this month:
- Opera in the Park
- Race for Life
- Southsea Food Festival
- Model Boat weekend
- Live at the bandstand every Sunday on Southsea Seafront
Events at the Royal Marines Museum
Royal Marines Open Air Concert
26th July – from 2pm
Enjoy the majesty and spectacle of the Band of HM Royal Marines Portsmouth playing in the grounds of the Museum. Without compare, their music will captivate and invigorate you. Best of all, the event is absolutely FREE to attend!
Are you tough enough? Commando Fit
Tuesday 28th July, 11am, 1pm & 3pm
Being a Royal Marines Commando is a tough job: you need to be strong in mind and body. Our activities will give you a taster of that as we test you physically and mentally (but not too hard…). Have you got what it takes?
Learn how Royal Marines Commando survive in a variety of climates…Survival
Wednesday 29th July, 11am, 1pm & 3pm
As a Royal Marines Commando, sometimes you need skills and training just to get by. From shelters to food, there’s more to operations than just the enemy…
Find out what is involved for yourself…
Royal Marines Commandos use brain and brawn to achieve breathtaking resultsCommando Operations
Thursday 30th July, 11am, 1pm & 3pm
Fighting man, thinking soldier; as a Royal Marines Commando, you’ll need both mind and body to succeed. See for yourself what is required of them through a number of fun family activities, and discover the range of talents they use on a daily basis..
For more information, visit