|September 14, 2009||to||September 19, 2009|
National Cupcake Week is being served up by British Baker magazine in association with co-sponsors Puratos and Chevler to celebrate the growing popularity of the cupcake.
Alongside independent bakeries, major food retailers are fuelling the nation’s cupcake boom:
- Marks & Spencer recently launching its first range of cupcakes which are completely free from artificial colours and flavours
- Waitrose is offering a patisserie counter selection
- Asda is selling 12-packs of party cupcakes
There have also been a number of recent world record attempts at the world’s biggest cupcake of late. The most recent was 15 August (see community.guinnessworldrecords.com/Largest-CupcakeFairy-Cake)
- Looking to break the record during National Cupcake Week is the Cupcake Cafe in Long Bennington. Mother of two Kellie Allen is planning to make a cupcake that is the same size as a Mini car, using an industrial oven.
British Baker recently ran a UK-wide competition to find Britain’s best cupcakes. The six winning bakeries that topped the judges’ selection as the creators of the best of British cupcakes are:
- Black Forest Cupcake, created by Mama’s Cupcakes from Cheshunt, Herts, was crowned the overall champion. The cupcake was chosen as the best flavour for Supreme Saturday
- Eat Your Greens Cupcake, created by Country Cupcakes from Bath – selected as Moreish Monday’s fabulous flavour
- Summertime Fizz, created by The Cupcake Girl from Cardiff, South Wales – selected as the winning flavour for Tantalising Tuesday
- The White Rabbit, created by Fantasy Cupcakes from Rawtenstall, Lancashire – chosen as the winning flavour for Whipped Up Wednesday
- Crazy Lemon Cupcake by the Crazy Baker from London – the winning flavour to feature on Thrilling Thursday
- Very Vanilla by Patacupcake from Abbots Langley, Herts – the final flavour will feature as Fulfilling Friday during National Cupcake Week
Other events taking place across National Cupcake Week include:
- Splat Cooking, Princes Risborough is running a Fantasy Cupcake Course on Friday, September 18 from 10am to 1.30pm. This is a hands on course so you’ll try out and practice all the techniques yourselves and hopefully leave full of confidence to carry on when you get home. Whether you want to start you own cake business, make cupcakes for your wedding or just want to learn some techniques to impress the other Mums at your child’s party this course will equip you with lots of ideas and skills. Book online via http://store.splatcooking.net
- MumsWhoBake meanwhile is launching a brand new programme of cake decorating classes. Aimed at mothers who enjoy baking but aren’t baking professionals, the classes demonstrate simple and effective techniques which can be learnt in just one session. Starting at only £30 per person, the classes take place in the picturesque countryside of Castlethorpe, Milton Keynes. Bookings via www.mumswhobake.co.uk
- London-based thelittlecakery is offering a box of dozen cupcakes for £18 (usually £20) or order your wedding cake with thelittlecakery during National Cupcake Week for a 2009/2010 wedding, and receive 10% off the total bill (subject to minimum spend of £250). Further details at www.thelittlecakery.co.uk
- Jessica’s Cupcake will be at Smart Tots Day Nursery, Banbury, on Saturday, September 19, selling cupcakes at their open day from 10am to 3pm.
- Midlands-based bakery Cupcakes and Peonies is running a competition to win six vanilla cupcakes. Enter via the bakery blogspot at www.cupcakespeonies.blogspot.com
For further information and updated details, visit www.bakeryinfo.co.uk