Explore a unique culture at this special festival at Spitalfields Market.
Last year’s Okinawa Day at Spitalfileds was an amazing success with over 7,500 visitors and we expect another fantastic Okinawa Day this year.
Okinawa Day 2011 has a special theme “Chibariyo Tohoku! Chibariyo Japan!” (Be united Tohoku! Be united Japan!) to support the recovery of people’s daily life in Tohoku, where the Great East Japan Earthquake hit on 11th March 2011.
The day will include performing arts (folk and classical songs accompanied by sanshin lute, Taiko drumming performance and Eisa dance) and arts and crafts, food, tourism information etc.
The prospective programme will include:
- Okinawan music, dance and karate performances
- Food stalls including Okinawan delicacies such as Goya Champuru and Taco-Rice
- Arts and crafts stalls displaying the unique and original Okinawan arts and crafts objects
- Exhibition of photography, drawings and paintings
- History of Okinawa and useful travel and cultural guides to Okinawa
Find out more at www.okinawaday.org.uk
Location: Spitalfields, London, E1
Times: 11am to 7pm