|June 8, 2009||to||June 14, 2009|
Save the Whale Week gives people a chance to get involved and have fun while they’re saving whales.
This year’s theme is RED. So show your support this summer by raising funds, having fun and keeping it RED! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Take part in our Red Devils Skydive day
- Take part in our Cake Challenge
- Organise a ‘Wear Red to Work’ day
- Hold a red themed coffee morning
- Throw a red party
- Hold a red themed quiz at your school
- Organise a sponsored red themed activity
Since commercial whaling was banned in 1986, 20,000 whales have been slaughtered by Japanese whalers alone. If we laid the dead whales end to end they would stretch from London to Birmingham. Whales are intelligent creatures, yet the cruelty that is tolerated in whaling operations would be deemed unacceptable by most nations if inflicted on animals in a slaughterhouse.
Take part in the Cake Challenge!
Your challenge is to design and bake a cake (or cakes) with a whale, whaling, or red theme and raise money around it. You can choose any of the following ideas or come up with your own:
- Auction or raffle your cake
- Hold a ‘guess the weight of the cake’ competition
- Sell slices at work/coffee morning
- Have a cake eating competition!
The possibilities are endless! Just remember to take a picture of your cake before it gets eaten and send it to the WDCS (website details below)with details of how you are raising funds. We will judge the best cake, with the most ingenious fundraising idea! The winner will receive a special WDCS goody bag and a picture of the winning cake will be printed in the autumn edition of our magazine. The first 40 people to send in over £60 get a free Stop Bloody Whaling badge with their certificate!
For more information and events near you, visit www2.wdcs.org