|July 27, 2012||to||September 2, 2012|
This summer, you can immerse yourselves in a seaside experience – at York!!
There’s Punch and Judy puppet shows, and you can also dress up in Edwardian costume, take part in a summer trail or create your very own ‘hook a train’ game.
Working replicas of Stephenson’s Rocket and Hedley’s Puffing Billy will be taking it in turns to pull steam rides and until the 3 August Graffiti Kings will be working with members of the public to create some communal street art on a railway theme.
There are also loads of great shows exploring the science behind how trains move in ‘From Rocket to Bullet’ or discovering everything you need to know about bubbles in ‘All Aboard the Bubble Train’.
Also there is plenty of story-telling with performances from the Platform 4 Theatre and a special reading of the new Steeplejack Fred book by author Tilly Walker (24- 27 August).
To find out more about summer at the National Railway Museum
10am – 6pm
Free entry (*a charge for some activities)
- 10.30am–1pm, 1.30pm–4.30pm
- Get on board a real steam train.
- £2 adults, £1 children.
The Brickish Association – 4–5 August only
- Members of the Brickish Association will hold an exhibition of amazing LEGO creations and run an interactive ‘Rail Sail’ challenge.
- Event supported by Bright Bricks.
Seaside puppet show
- 11am, 12.30pm, 2pm
- Punch is off to the seaside – oh yes he is! Come and help our Explainers tell his story.
- 27 July – 3 August
- Throughout the day help to recreate one of our railway posters.
Put yourself in the picture
- 10am – 4.30pm
- What was it like going on holiday 100 years ago? Dress up in costume and have your photo taken next to a real Edwardian carriage.
- 24 – 27 August only
- 11.30am, 1pm, 3pm
- Hear author Tilly Walker read the first of her new Steeplejack Fred books. 20 mins
Find the seaside objects
- Hidden around Station Hall and South Yard are eight objects you’d usually see at the seaside.
- Can you spot all eight?
Make and take*
- 10.30am – 4pm
- Create your very own ‘hook a train’ game. £1.50
Science shows and storytelling
- 1.30pm, 3.30pm
- Explore how trains move in From Rocket to Bullet, and learn about bubbles in All Aboard The Bubble Train. 20–30 mins
Platform 4 theatre
- Character appearances at 10.30am–11.30am, 12.15pm–12.55pm, 2pm–2.30pm and 3.30pm–3.55pm, and performances at 11.30am and 2.45pm.