|August 1, 2009||to||August 31, 2009|
The National Railway Museum has so much to offer, we challenge anyone to see everything in a day! Not only do we have the world’s largest collection of trains and associated memorabilia, we have outdoor play and picnic areas, a Funfair, Miniature Railway and much more besides.
Summer Fun at the World’s Greatest Railway Museum
- Join us for an action packed summer programme filled with fun, FREE and engaging activities for the whole family.
- With so much to do under one roof you will be spoilt for choice with what to do first!
Let Off Steam Whatever the Weather
- When the sun is shining there is plenty of outdoor fun to be had this summer.
- Spread out your picnic in the South Yard – a selection of picnic treats will be available to buy at the Museum which will certainly tickle your taste buds!
- Take a relaxing ride on the picturesque Miniature Railway, dive into the Children’s Play Area and take a peek into the Museum’s fish pond!
- Please note a small charge of 50p per ride applies to the Miniature Railway.
- Did you know that the NRM is home to the Guinness World Record Certificate for the world’s largest collection of model railway vehicles made by one person?! Come and explore the hidden gems in our Warehouse!
- Enjoy a whole host of daily interactives with our very own Explainer Team! Explore some of the more unusual objects in our collection and get hands on with cab access, talks and demonstrations.
- The kids will love ‘Clickety Clack’, our interactive railway story which explores the sounds of the train as it travels from London to Scotland (suitable for under 6s).
NEW Learning Platform
- Come and explore our new look Interactive Learning Centre, the ‘Learning Platform’.
- Experience exciting and informative talks and live shows that will help make sense of railways, structures and basic engineering principles…more information coming soon.
- Catch one of our Platform4 weekend theatre performances and be entertained by one of our fascinating railway stories.
- Further information on Platform4 including times of performances.
- Enjoy your favourite fairground rides throughout the summer at the NRM! Why not go dizzy around the carousel and whizz down the helter skelter!
- Rides will be available at the Museum every weekend until 31 August 2009 and everyday throughout the summer holidays (22 July – 31 August 09) from10.00 to 17.00.
- Please note a charge of £1.50 per person per ride applies.
Rest your tired feet before or after exploring the Museum. For a quick, convenient route from the city centre, why not catch our Road Train straight to the Museum’s door.
This service runs everyday throughout the summer with trips leaving the Museum on the hour and half hour from 11.00 to 16.00 and departing from Duncombe Place (next to York Minster) every 30mins from 11.15 to 16.15.
The Railway Children
Take a seat in The Depot for this not-to-be-missed theatrical experience! The Railway Children production returns to the NRM for a second year.
With performances throughout the summer, York Theatre Royal brings to life the classic novel using a unique theatre setting in the Museum.
For futher information and buying tickets visit our Railway Children page.
Come and visit us out and about in Yorkshire and find out the latest about what’s coming up at the NRM. We will be attending the Great Yorkshire Show between 14 to 16 July 2009 and look out for us in York City Centre on Yorkshire Day on 1 August 2009.
Take advantage of our sizzling summer offers in the NRM shop and cafe when you next visit with these special downloadable vouchers. Print off the vouchers and bring them along to the Museum over the school holidays and treat yourself to our summer savings.
For more information
See the Fun Kids review on the National Railway Museum