The scientific name for the Western Lowland Gorilla is Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla!
It is a subspecies of the Gorilla Gorilla!
They live in forests and swamps in Central Africa in Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea and Gabon.
The name Gorilla even goes way back to 500BC when an explorer went on an expedition to what we now call Sierra Leone.Embed from Getty Images
There’s even more to discover about gorillas! Did you know…
- A gorilla’s diet consists of mainly bamboo, fruit and leafy plants
- Gorillas are really strong! They range from 4 times to 10 times stronger than the average human
- They are also very clever, they use items around them like bamboo to help their infants climb
- In the wild, gorillas can live until they’re 35-40. But when in zoos they can live for over 50 years!
- No two gorilla’s noses are the same – just like a human fingerprint!
Don’t forget you can find out more fun facts on the Fun Kids Facts app on your Amazon Alexa!
Find out how below!Add a comment