This recipe should take you 55 mins, plus soaking and cooling • Serves 4
225g/8oz Jam or Plain Ring Doughnuts or Yum Yums
100g/4oz Soft Brown Sugar
1/4 teasp Mixed Spice
4 Eggs, beaten
1 tbsp Brandy or Sherry (optional, for you adults!)
1. Break the doughnuts into smallish pieces and place in a large mixing bowl together with the raisins, half of the sugar and the mixed spice. Mix well then add the milk and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 190ºC, 375ºF, Gas mark 5 and lightly grease a square baking tin.
3. Place the butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until melted.
4. Stir the beaten eggs, melted butter and brandy or sherry into the bread mixture, mix well, then pour into the greased baking tin. Bake for 45 minutes until browned and set.
5. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and allow to cool.
6. Once cold, cut into squares.
This can also be served hot as a dessert with whipped cream. Yummy!