For the dough
½ tbsp dried yeast
pinch caster sugar
200g/7oz wholemeal flour
drizzle olive oil, plus extra for greasing
150ml/5fl oz lukewarm water
For the tomato sauce
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
freshly ground black pepper
- To make the pizza dough, place the yeast, salt, sugar and flour in a large bowl and mix together well.
- Mix the olive oil with the water in a jug, then gradually add to the dry ingredients, beating and mixing all the time to create a thick dough.
- Knead it with floured hands, until the mixture is smooth and elastic. This will take about ten minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and place somewhere warm (not hot) for about 30 minutes.
- Knock back the risen dough, by gently punching it back into the bowl, and leave to prove for another 30 minutes.
- For the tomato sauce, place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Roll out the pizza dough onto a clean, floured surface to about ½cm/¼in thick.
- Add the tomato sauce and spread out thinly and evenly across the dough.
- Add your topping then place into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
Suggestions for pizza toppings
Spinach and Cheese
- 50g/2oz spinach, steamed
- pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 25g/1oz low-fat mozzarella cheese, broken up
- sprinkle grated parmesan cheese
- 1 free-range egg, broken into the centre of the pizza
Mushroom and pepper
- 4 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ green pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 25g/1oz low-fat mozzarella cheese, broken up.
Ham and Cheese
- 4 slices parma ham
- 25g/1oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 50g/2oz sun-dried tomatoes
- small handful fresh basil leaves