I used two 8 inch shallow cake tins, a measuring jug, wooden spoon and a big mixing bowl for this really easy cake recipe.
- 400g wholemeal flour
- 230g sugar
- 2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 tsps vinegar
- 4 tbsps orange juice
- 4 tbsps cocoa powder
- 400ml water
- 1 tbsps of your favourite jam
The fudge topping for the cake is a bit more tricky but well worth the effort. (You’ll also need a saucepan and a sieve!)
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 3 tbsps milk (or soya milk)
- 85g margarine
- 85g sugar
First things first, grease your cake tins really well and put the oven on (gas mark 4, 350/180).
For the cake:
1. Mix flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a big mixing bowl.
2. Add the orange juice and vinegar to the water in a measuring jug.
3. Pour the water mixture into the bowl and stir it all up.
4. Once it’s well and truly mixed, pour equal amounts into the cake tins and get it straight into the pre-warmed ovens.
5. Take the cakes out of the oven after 30 minutes and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
6. Quickly wash up the bowl, wooden spoon and measuring jug! (When the cakes are cool spread a thin layer of jam on both of them and carefully place one on top of the other sothat the jams meet up!)
For the fudge topping:
1. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix them together.
2. Slowly melt the margarine in a saucepan with the milk, add the sugar and stir until it’s dissolved. Bring it to the boil before pouring onto the cocoa powder and icing sugar. Stir it all up and then beat the mixture like you’ve never beaten before until it’s all fluffy.
3. Spread it over the cake and leave it to set.