10 to 30 mins
- 300ml (half pint) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 125g (4oz) small macaroni or pasta shapes
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 30g (1oz) cornflour or plain flour
- 60g (2oz) hard cheese such as cheddar, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 60g (2oz) button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 60g (2oz) frozen peas
- half garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh herbs such as basil, sage or chives
- Preheat the oven to 200c, 400F or Gas 6.
- Heat the milk in a pan with the bay leaf. Bring to simmering point, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the packet and drain well.
- In a separate pan, gently heat the butter. Add the flour and stir, using a wooden spoon or hand whisk, until well combined and smooth.
- Remove the bay leaf from the milk, then gradually add the milk to the pan, stirring continuously.
- Stir the sauce over a medium heat until it begins to thicken. Simmer for 3 minutes, then stir in half the cheese, all the macaroni and onion, mushrooms, peas, garlic and herbs.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and bake for 20 minutes, until the top is bubbling and golden.