Less than 30 mins
Less than 10 mins
Remember to get help from an adult, especially when cooking the pancakes
For the pancake mixture:
- 110g/4oz sifted plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 200ml/7fl oz milk mixed with 75ml/3fl oz water
- 50g/2oz butter
- caster sugar
- lemon juice
- lemon wedges
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl with a sieve held high above the bowl so the flour gets a airing.
- Break the eggs into the centre of the flour and begin whisking the eggs – any sort of whisk or even a fork will do – incorporating any bits of flour from around the edge of the bowl as you do so.
- Gradually add small quantities of the milk and water mixture, still whisking (don’t worry about any lumps as they will eventually disappear as you whisk).
- When all the liquid has been added, use a rubber spatula to scrape any elusive bits of flour from around the edge into the centre, then whisk once more until the batter is smooth, with the consistency of thin cream.
- Now get mummy or daddy to help cook the pancakes
- They will need to melt the 50g/2oz of butter in a pan, and then spoon 2 tbsp of it into the batter and whisk it in
- They should then pour the rest of the butter into a bowl and use it to lubricate the pan, using a wodge of kitchen paper to smear it round before they make each pancake.
- Tell them to get the pan really hot, then turn the heat down to medium and, to start with, do a test pancake to see if you’re using the correct amount of batter (2 tablespoons is about right for an 18cm/7in pan).
- As soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip it around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter. It should take only half a minute or so to cook; lift the edge with a palette knife to see if it’s tinged gold as it should be. Flip the pancake over with a pan slice or palette knife – the other side will need a few seconds only – then simply slide it out of the pan onto a plate.
- Stack the pancakes as you make them between sheets of greaseproof paper on a plate fitted over simmering water, to keep them warm while you make the rest.
- To serve, sprinkle each pancake with freshly squeezed lemon juice and caster sugar, fold in half, then in half again to form triangles, or else simply roll them up. Serve sprinkled with a little more sugar and lemon juice and extra sections of lemon