Have you ever wondered about how it actually works?
Luckily, Professor Hallux and Nurse Nanobot are here to help!
They’ll be finding out all about the cool stuff that goes on inside your heart and how it manages to pump blood around your body all the time – even when you’re asleep!
Plus, they’re discovering some top tips for how you can keep your heart in tip-top condition!
So you can start learning about your heart right now, here are some cool facts everyone should learn!
- Your heart is one of the most important organs in the human body. It is the size of your fist and is well protected by your rib cage.
- On average did you know your heart beats 100,000 times every day!
- Your heart is made up of four chambers – the left atrium, right atrium, left ventricle and right ventricle
- Your heart has four valves, and with every beat of your heart they open and close to allow blood to flow through the heart in one direction only.
- Your heart pumps blood around your body through a maze of tubes called arteries and veins – the arteries carry blood full of oxygen and nutrients away from the heart, whilst the veins carry blood back to the heart.
- Did you know that small electrical impulses produced by the heart make the heart muscle cells contract to pump blood out of the heart and around your body.
Professor Hallux’s Heart Beat funding thanks to a Heart Research UK healthy heart grant!