Welcome to the great little award-winning and family-friendly Museum all about Roald Dahl.
Situated in the village where Roald Dahl lived and wrote for 36 years, the Roald DahlMuseum was created as a home for the author’s unique archive and to inspire a love of stories and creative writing in all our visitors.
What will I see?
- Ever wondered how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory started out, or how long Roald Dahl took to write it? You can see how the story developed
- Explore Roald Dahl’s famous writing hut and see the quirky objects Roald Dahl liked to keep around him, peek inside a filing cabinet or glimpse a few tantalising notes from his Ideas Book.
- Test your Roald Dahl-related knowledge with our Splendiferous quiz.
- Take our Explore the archive tutorial to help you use our Collections Database.
- There are two fun, interactive and fact-packed biographical galleries tell the fascinating story of Roald Dahl’s life, looking at how his experiences shaped him as a writer.
- The Story Centre puts the imagination of the visitor centre-stage and encourages everyone (young and old) to dress up, make up stories, words and poems or get arty in our craft room.
- As well as having a phizz-whizzingly inspirational time, every child over five who visits the Museum receives a Story Ideas Book, just like Roald Dahl’s, to scribble their ideas in around the Museum. Grown-ups are given a Visitor’s guide to help everyone get the most from their visit.
How long should we come for?
Visitors usually stay for between one hour and 90 minutes though many stay longer, particularly if they join in one of our activities or enjoy a snack in our café.
Events and activities
In the School holidays and at weekends there is an exciting range of workshops, events and free storytelling sessions.
Free craft activities are always on offer, while the Village Trail leads you around Great Missenden to see the places that feature in the stories. If you visit on a sunny day, why not take the Village Trail – Great Missenden is the village where Roald Dahl lived and wrote for over thirty years and he often found inspiration in the the places and things you will see on the High Street.
When can we come?
Open Tuesday to Fiday 10am to 5pm
Open weelends 11am to 5pm
Children 5 to 18 £4.00
Family ticket £19.00*
(*For 2 adults and up to 3 children.)
Where do we go?
The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre
81-83 High Street
Where can I get more information?