What you’ll need:
4lb whole chicken, without the giblets.
A can of cola, not diet brand.
To make the paste
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons oregano leaves
2 tablespoons sage leaves
1½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Two or three tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
You’ll also need hickory smoke woodchips for the grill.
How to make them:
- Soak the woodchips in water for 30 minutes whilst you prepare the chicken.
- Take the chicken and loosen the skin from the meat by pushing it away with your fingers, starting at the neck, and working across the breast and then the legs and drumsticks.
- Finely chop the oregano and sage leaves and mix them, and the other paste ingredients together.
- Work the paste under the skin as far as possible and use what’s left to coat the skin.
- Open the cola can, and pour half away (or drink it!).
- Use a can opener to make three or four extra holes around the top of the tin.
- Push the chicken’s main cavity onto the can so far that the legs are able to help support its weight.
- Add woodchips to the grill and when they begin to smoke, place the chicken on the can securely on the grill – preferably not directly over flames.
- It’ll take around 1 to 1 and a half hours to cook – use a cooking thermometer, and when the inside temperature is 165F it’ll be ready to go.
Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before carving or tearing into portions.
You can DOWNLOAD a copy of this recipe by clicking here!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not check out more here!
It’s really important to remember to ALWAYS BBQ OUTSIDE, as carbon monoxide is not harmful in open spaces!
Never BBQ inside your home or in a tent or gazebo – even if the doors are open.
And if you want to find out more about the CO Crew, click www.thecocrew.co.ukAdd a comment