We know water is super important but are there optimal times to drink it? The answer is… sort-of!
Whilst drinking water at any time of the day is a great thing to do, your body might be able to do more with the water at different times of the day.
It all depends on what you’re doing just before, during, and just after you’re drinking. Let’s take a look at some ideal times to hydrate…
- When you wake up: Drinking water when waking up can give your brain a bit of a jump start! Ice water is also a great alternative to anything with caffeine.
- 30 minutes to one hour before a meal: Drinking water before a meal can help regulate digestion and make you less hungry. The water can also moisturise the stomach lining, making eating more comfortable!
- During a meal: Drinking during a meal is a great way to stay hydrated, especially if you’re eating sugary or salty foods!
- 30 minutes to one hour before a shower or bath: Bathing in hot water is pretty relaxing and drinking a decent amount of water beforehand is even good for your heart!
- 30 minutes to one hour before going to bed: A glass or two of water before bed is said to have tons of health benefits! Drinking water before bed helps balance hormones, energy levels, muscles, and joints. Just don’t drink too much or you’ll have to pee in the middle of the night!
- When you feel exhausted: If you’ve gotten a good night’s sleep but still feel tired, you may just be dehydrated. Drink a glass or two of water to fuel up and feel more energised!
Remember these signs of dehydration and if you feel any of them, you should drink straight away.
You shouldn’t wait for the next ideal time…
Some people even buy water bottles with indicators marked on them showing you how much water to drink during the day.
You don’t need one of these water bottles to drink water but it might help you stay hydrated!
Hallux’s Hydration Helpdesk is now open and is answering all of your water and hydration questions!
Hallux’s Hydration Helpdesk, with support from The Children’s Health Fund.
Add a comment