So far, we’ve discovered that you can’t see Carbon Monoxide, hear it, smell it, taste it or touch it!
Luckily, Safety Seymour is here to tell us all about how we can spot it!
Carbon monoxide is often found in places where there’s a flame – especially if that flame is orange coloured and floppy.
If your gas cooker is burning with an orange flame, it’s a clear sign that it’s not working properly and needs to be checked by a specialist.
Cookers should burn with nice healthy blue flames.Embed from Getty Images
Did you know that cars give off carbon monoxide from their exhaust? So you should never be in a garage or an enclosed space when a car engine is running.
Some of you may have fireplaces or
Often these do burn a big orange flame, which does give off Carbon Monoxide so we need to keep chimneys swept regularly to make sure fumes can escape up through the chimney and out the top of the house.Embed from Getty Images
Burning charcoal releases carbon monoxide too.
That’s why it’s really important to never use a barbecue in enclosed spaces like inside your house, a shed or even worse in a tent.
The poisonous gas that is Carbon Monoxide can’t escape and that can make you ill – or worse.
As well as heating homes, boilers produce hot water.Embed from Getty Images
However, if they’re not working properly, the flame inside might be burning orange and you may get black sooty patches around the boiler.
Don’t forget that Carbon Monoxide Alarms are another great way to stay safe!
And if you ever hear your Carbon Monoxide alarm go off, tell an adult and leave the house until it has been checked by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.
Safety Seymour is made possible with help from Cadent and Northern Gas Networks.
Explore all the free Fun Kids podcasts!
Download a series to listen to on your phone, tablet or in the car!