Welcome to the world of Minecraft! Minecraft is one of the most popular video games of all time and it’s a great way to have fun and explore your creativity. Let’s take a look at the top 10 facts about Minecraft. From the game’s innovative building mechanics to its history, there’s plenty to explore in the world of Minecraft.
1. Minecraft was initially released 10 years ago
Minecraft was initially released 10 years ago, on the 18th November 2011.
2. The game was created by Markus “Notch” Persson
The game was created by Markus “Notch” Persson, and was developed by the Swedish video game developer, Mojang Studios.
3. There are five different ‘game modes’ in Minecraft
There are five different ‘game modes’ in Minecraft. They are: Survival Mode, Hardcore Mode, Creative Mode, Adventure Mode, and Spectator Mode.
4. Minecraft has been taught at school
Minecraft has been taught at school! In 2013, a Swedish school named the Viktor Rydberg Secondary School introduced Minecraft as a mandatory part of its curriculum for all of its 13-year-old students. A teacher explained that students: “learn about city planning, environmental issues, getting things done, and even how to plan for the future.” How about double Minecraft to finish a long day at school?!
5. Minecraft is the biggest selling video game of all time
Minecraft is the biggest selling video game of all time! It has sold 238,000,000 copies – that’s enough for the entire population of the UK to have more than FOUR copies EACH!Embed from Getty Images
6. The Rarest item in Minecraft is the Dragon Egg
The Rarest item in Minecraft is the Dragon Egg. It only appears when the Ender Dragon has been defeated, at which point, the Dragon Egg will appear on the exit portal!
7. One day in Minecraft is 20 minutes in real-time
One day in Minecraft is 20 minutes in real-time. Imagine if our days were that short…a year would take just over 5 days!
8. Minecraft was nearly called something elseEmbed from Getty Images
9. Every 1 in 10,000 times you play Minecraft, the main menu will display a typo of the game’s title
10. Each block is considered 1 cubic metre
Each block is considered 1 cubic metre. That means that the size of a chicken in Minecraft is approximately 3 feet. I don’t know about you – but a 3 foot tall chicken sounds scary!
Send us your favourite facts!
Is there something we've missed? Got a fact you're dying to tell us? Submit it below and we could use it on a future Top 10 Facts page!
Remember to always ask an adult before filling out forms online.