Have you ever wondered how roads are made? It’s a pretty interesting process! Here are ten facts about how roads are made that you might not know.
1. The first roads were made by animals.
Millions of years ago, animals like dinosaurs and mammoths created paths by walking over the same areas repeatedly.
These paths eventually turned into roads that humans could use.Embed from Getty Images
2. The Romans were the first to build paved roads.
The Romans built a vast network of roads throughout their empire.
These roads were made of stone and concrete, and they were very durable.Embed from Getty Images
3. The first asphalt roads were built in the United States in the late 1800s.
Asphalt is a sticky, black material that is made from oil and sand.
It is a very good material for roads because it is durable and it can withstand a lot of wear and tear.Embed from Getty Images
4. The first concrete roads were built in the early 1900s.
Concrete is a mixture of cement, water, sand, and gravel.
It is a very strong material that can withstand a lot of weight.Embed from Getty Images
5. The longest road in the world is the Pan-American Highway.
The Pan-American Highway is a network of roads that stretches from Alaska to Argentina. It is over 25,000 miles long.Embed from Getty Images
6. The widest road in the world is the Katy Freeway in Houston, Texas.
The widest road in the world is the Interstate 10, also known as the Katy Freeway, in Houston, Texas.
It has a total of 26 lanes and carries an average of 219,000 vehicles per day.Embed from Getty Images
7. The most expensive road in the world is the Sheikh Zayed Road in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The Sheikh Zayed Road is over 100 miles long and it cost over $8 billion to build.Embed from Getty Images
8. The most dangerous road in the world is the National Highway 37 in India.
It is a very busy road and it is very narrow and winding.
This makes it difficult for drivers to see around curves and to pass other cars.Embed from Getty Images
9. The most beautiful road in the world is said to be the Great Ocean Road in Australia.
The Great Ocean Road winds along the coast of Victoria and it is known for its scenic views.Embed from Getty Images
10. The most well known road in the world is the Route 66 in the United States.
The Route 66 is a historic road that is known for its quirky roadside attractions.Embed from Getty Images Add a comment